Deliciousity Oil Painting
Instructor | Gavin Gardner
Three Sundays | September 1, 8, 15
Time | 1:00-5:00pm
Alla Prima day one | $75
Three Day Tuition | $195
For the Foodie artists who want to learn the secrets to painting appetizing food, Gavin will teach a three week workshop. In three days, Gavin will teach us how to create a delicious painting using key ingredients: design composition, simplified palette, alla prima technique, glazing, and edges!
Design composition is an important ingredient. Positioning the subject to create a mood, and consideration of positive and negative shapes for focus. The simplified palette will help students understand color harmony with a RGB color palette (lemon yellow, true cyan blue, quinacridone red). This could be an exiting new twist to a brighter color palette. Alla prima to capture the short shelf life of food in a one day painting. Glazing and Edges will be the finish to heighten the focus of our vision and keep our paintings looking loose.
After a presentation and demo by the instructor, students will be introduced to basic principles of lighting, composition, color and paint and they will produce a quick alla prima painting of a still life.
Students will begin the first layer of a two-day painting and will learn how to block-in and refine keeping edges soft
Students will learn how to oil out their dry paintings and how to continue painting thin details by scumbling and glazing.
- Each student needs a hardboard gesso panel in the range of 6×9, 8.5×11, 8×10, 11×14 etc. Nothing bigger than 11×14 please and nothing smaller than 6×9.
- Odorless mineral spirits
- Rags or paper towels
- Palette knives
- Walnut oil
- Fast dry glazing medium (suggested Gamblin Galkyd Lite)
- Cosmetic sponges (smooth wedges please)
- Long Hog bristle brushes, a mix of filberts 0,3, 5, 7, 8, 10
- Artificial mongoose (legion from trekell is good) long filberts 0,3,5,7,8,10
- Legion rounds 0, 3, 5, 7
- We encourage you to use these color paints:
- ivory black
- burnt sienna
- lead white
- cadmium red
- yellow ocre
- lemon yellow
- quinacridone red
- cyan blue
- cadmium yellow
- ultramarine blue